The attorneys on our environmental team offer the regulatory, technical and business experience necessary to help clients meet the complex challenges posed by environmental laws and regulations. We represent a wide range of clients in all aspects of regulatory compliance and transactional activities involving solid and hazardous waste, air, wastewater, underground storage tanks, site assessments and remediation, voluntary cleanups, wetlands, asbestos, and lender and corporate officer liability.
Our experience in compliance issues ranges from addressing facility operations and expansions to resolving non-compliance situations. We have worked with clients in all phases of regulatory compliance including permit applications, renewals, modifications, and implementation for wastewater, solid waste, hazardous waste, and air. We have provided guidance on reporting requirements under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA), the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), Toxic Substance Control Act (TSCA), and Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know (EPCRA). We have also represented and negotiated on behalf of our clients with respect to notices of violation, findings and orders, consent orders, public hearings, and public meetings. In addition, our attorneys have appeared before the many types of regulatory authorities and review boards. Our experience also includes environmental litigation, particularly related to CERCLA actions.
In transactional matters, we are very active in performing environmental due diligence for acquisitions, mergers and real property transfers, including evaluation of site assessments and compliance audits, coordination of permit transfers, negotiation and oversight of remediation activities, and preparation of contractual provisions for the transfer, release or limitation of liability. We have been successful in creatively using Ohio’s recent Brownfields legislation (the Voluntary Action Program) to protect our clients where contaminated properties are involved in a transaction.
- Environmental counsel to one of Ohio’s largest cheese manufacturers.
- Served as general counsel to the largest wallpaper manufacturer with facilities throughout the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.
- Served as national environmental counsel for three Tier I auto parts suppliers.
- Served as general counsel for the world's largest brass and bronze ingot manufacturer. We recently resolved a significant environmental issue under RCRA, concluding with the negotiation of a successful remediation and closure plan, and the use of Ohio’s Voluntary Action Program to limit the extent of the RCRA cleanup.
- Served as environmental counsel for the City of Cleveland’s Department of Port Control, which is responsible for the operation of the City’s two municipal airports. We have represented the City on various projects relating to RCRA issues and the attainment of demonstration project status under Ohio’s Voluntary Action Program.
- Served as environmental counsel to Ohio Citizen Action.