Legal Secretary - Litigation Department (West Palm Beach)
McDonald Hopkins is seeking a Legal Secretary to join our Litigation Department in our West Palm Beach office.
- Prepare correspondence, memoranda and other legal documents from written and oral drafts, format briefs, pleadings and other legal documents
- Transcribe dictation
- File legal documents including electronic filings
- Screen telephone calls, as appropriate and record messages
- Maintain calendar and deadline reminder systems, make appointments
- Make travel arrangements
- Complete expense reports
- Open new file requests, conflict of interest checks with file room records, and maintain client and general files. Conduct periodic review for possible storage of older files; prepare files to be closed
- Observe confidentiality of attorney-client relationship
- Complete time charges
- Processes bills; proofs billing sheets; reviews and edits bills
- Work closely with administrative support
- Ability to read and write in order to proof and perform minor editing (e.g., punctuation, grammar, spelling) of routine law office correspondence and legal cases matters. Perform non-complex arithmetic calculations when verifying calculations on forms and documents; maintain records and filing systems at a level normally acquired through completion of high school or equivalent
- Ability to transcribe legal documents, correspondence and report from rough draft or dictation
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints
- Ability to proofread typed materials for grammatical, typographical or spelling errors
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate and follow instructions effectively from a diverse group of clients, attorneys and staff to provide information with ordinary courtesy and tact
- Several years of experience is necessary in order to gain an understanding of law office policies and procedures and produce accurate legal documents with minimal supervision
- Ability to work overtime if needed.
McDonald Hopkins does not currently accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or headhunters.
McDonald Hopkins is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and inclusion. (Employment decisions are based on qualifications, merit and business need without regard to any protected category.)