For more than 90 years, McDonald Hopkins has been thriving and evolving as a firm because we embrace ambitious, entrepreneurial attorneys and professionals who understand the importance of hard work and exceptional client service. Individually and together as part of our more than 50 service and industry teams, McDonald Hopkins attorneys focus on providing insightful legal solutions that exceed expectations – that’s how we cultivate intensely loyal and successful clients.
Our culture is one that encourages professional growth and rewards merit. We take a firm-wide approach to business development across all practice and office groups, enabling teamwork and regional/national growth in each of our markets. By adhering to our Core Values of integrity, client service, teamwork, entrepreneurship and quality of life, we’ve built a business model that works.
- Based on revenue per attorney, the firm would be ranked 147 in the Am Law 200
- Based on profit per equity member, the firm would be ranked 135 in the Am Law 200
- Active balance sheet and receivables management
- Growth financed from current cash flow
- Overhead per attorney below peer groups
- Open book compensation system for members
- Merit based compensation
- Financial transparency for members
- Conservative financial approach
- Flat management, little bureaucracy
- A single income statement instead of separate ones by location or department
- No personal guarantees required by members on the firm's line of credit or leases
- Structured as an LLC, taxed as a corporation:
- Members are taxed as employees, not partners
- Generous benefits package for full-time attorneys, including:
- Health insurance
- Long-term disability
- Group term life insurance
- Profit sharing plan
- Reimbursement for business development expenses
- Mobile phone plans for voice and data
- Parking (for Members)
- Flexible and dependent care spending options
- Reimbursement for professional memberships and continuing education
- Strongly encourage and support involvement with civic and charitable organizations
McDonald Hopkins’ collaborative, inclusive, and entrepreneurial culture provides a unique environment where attorneys can grow and thrive. Our focus is on working together to produce the best outcomes for our clients without the structural constraints found in many large law firms.
From a recruiting perspective, this means that we hire intelligent, driven people and provide them with the resources, training, and support to develop their practices in areas of law they enjoy. We also hire people we like, people we believe will be invigorated by our mission and Core Values. We know that a diverse and inclusive environment that values teamwork is the best way to provide exceptional client service and create an engaging place to work.
We simply believe that when people enjoy what they do and like where they work, they can focus all of their talents and creativity on representing clients and providing the best legal services. We encourage our attorneys to grow as fast as their abilities will let them by providing immediate exposure to substantive matters and by recognizing and rewarding success. This approach has worked for our attorneys and for the firm as we continue to have sophisticated work and impressive growth.
Our entrepreneurial approach translates to our new associate hiring, lateral recruiting, and law clerk training. We are looking for well-rounded people who seek a dynamic work environment and subscribe to our Core Values: Integrity, Client Service, Teamwork, Entrepreneurship, and Quality of Life. We have created a vibrant workplace where good work matters and every attorney has the opportunity to develop the career they have always wanted.
NOTE TO SEARCH FIRMS: McDonald Hopkins does not currently accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or headhunters. If you wish to be considered in the future for our list of approved search firms, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
McDonald Hopkins is an equal opportunity employer. The firm is committed to a workplace free of discrimination based on age sex, race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender expression and/or identity, pregnancy, disability, citizenship, veteran status, and any other characteristics protected by law.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
At McDonald Hopkins, we believe that a diverse law firm is crucial to providing quality legal services and are committed to supporting and promoting diversity and inclusion as an integral part of our culture. This commitment is one of the fundamental principles that guides our decisions, management practices, and conduct. We recognize that the unique aspects of every individual bring something different and valuable to our firm, and that those unique differences make our firm stronger, enhance our ability to represent our clients, and benefit our communities. We have worked and will continue to work to maintain an open work environment and a diverse workforce of attorneys and staff.
McDonald Hopkins’ commitment to diversity is deep and ongoing. We will continue to take positive actions to support and encourage diversity within the firm and our communities.
The mission of the McDonald Hopkins’ Women’s Council is threefold:
- To cultivate female leadership within the firm and in our communities.
- To promote the skills, experience and accomplishments of our women attorneys.
- To create avenues for client development and encourage peer networking.
At McDonald Hopkins, we recognize the importance of supporting and encouraging women lawyers as members of our firm and in the community. Internally, we’ve created a culture that supports professional growth and career advancement for women. Our women attorneys and professionals are in every office, department, practice group and level of leadership. And outside the office, in the community, our Women's Council is actively involved in creating opportunities for professional and business development. From offering networking events to speaker series and educational programs, our Women’s Council cultivates and supports strong female leaders.