Local Governments' Eye on the General Assembly: Ohio Municipal and Township Legislative Priorities in 2023-24
For municipal and township officials, it can often feel as if the General Assembly is one giant wave of uncertainty. Some are concerned that state legislators' priorities appear to erode home-rule authority and curtail local control, while others see bright spots coming from the statehouse.
During this one-hour webinar presented by the McDonald Hopkins Public Law Practice Group, attorney Kevin Butler will be joined by the leaders of two chief advocacy groups – Kent Scarrett, Executive Director of the Ohio Municipal League, and Heidi Fought, Executive Director of the Ohio Township Association – to discuss action items being advanced in Columbus and 2023-24 budgetary and legislative priorities for Ohio municipalities and townships. Kent and Heidi will provide insight and answer questions so you can feel more confident advocating on behalf of your own governments and more aware of what might be emerging trends in the General Assembly.
Topics to be covered include:
- The legislative priorities most meaningful to cities, villages, and townships
- OTA's and OML's perspectives on partnering with state legislators and the DeWine administration
- Upshots from the biennial budget proposals
- Home-rule threats and opportunities
- How the Local Government Fund is in play
- Giving townships more statutory flexibility
- Advocacy strategies for those wishing to work with their local representatives
1 hour CLE credit pending with the Supreme Court of Ohio.