Jeff has more than three decades of experience representing businesses, investors and entrepreneurs, providing general counsel services, securities law compliance counseling, and legal guidance for multinational business activities and transaction legal services.
As rapid change in business and technology has accelerated worldwide uncertainty, companies in Europe, the United Kingdom, Central and South America and Asia have turned to Jeff for his cross-industry and cross-border expertise and knowledge of legal issues for midsize and small businesses. Jeff has helped many businesses with legal services necessary for U.S. market entry.
Through his past service as a board member, vice president and treasurer for an international legal network, Jeff is armed with a list of worldwide contacts capable of assisting U.S.-based clients seeking international expansion as well as companies outside of the United States in their inbound business activities, their operation of the U.S. subsidiary entities, and their acquisition of additional facilities and businesses in the U.S.
Jeff regularly advises midwest based businesses through key business transactions involving acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures, supply agreements and similar transactions. His industry experience includes business providing information services, product distribution, manufacturers, senior care and retail sales.
Jeff earned a J.D. from the University of Michigan School of Law in 1987. He is a 1982 graduate of Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Mich., where he earned a Bachelor of Science degree.
Representative Cases & Matters
- Assisted a family business in negotiating and closing the sale of an automotive supply industry business to a non-U.S. business, ensuring the smooth transition for a new generation of family ownership.
- Represented a technology and service business with operations in India and the United Kingdom to commence operations in the U.S. through the acquisition of two entrepreneurial business in the U.S.
- Represented a Taiwanese business pursuing U.S. investors and business development opportunities to implement innovative product and manufacturing solutions.
- Guided an early-stage client in negotiations with a leading beverage distributor for a supply agreement of a disruptive packaging solution.
- Assisted an investor group in developing a legal structure suitable for rapid, flexible growth, enabling it to strategically align with a significant financial investor, propelling key growth in size and profits.
- Continues to represent select family offices, startups and emerging growth businesses in ken transactions, raising capital and many other legal issues confronted by these organizations. Through effective integration of key specialties, he comprehensively assists businesses out of the startup phase and into growth and expansion.
- Represented well established regional business in sale to private equity-backed national competitor with sale proceeds in excess of $50 million.
- Advised real estate developer on multiple Rule 506(c) securities offerings using crowdfunding platforms.
Honors & Recognition
Named one of the Best Lawyers in America (2019-2023)
University of Michigan Law School
Admissions – State
Professional & Civic
American Bar Association- Business Law Section and Mid-Market and Small Business Committee
State Bar of Michigan- past chair, Business Law Section
ABA Bar Fellow
Guiding Light Mission, past president
MiQuest, past board member
National Small Business Association, past chair
North Country Trail Association, board member
News & Insights
- Blog Post
- Blog Post
- Blog Post
- MH Event2:00 PM - 3:00 PM
- MH Webcasts1:00 PM - 2:30 PM
- MH Event5:30 PM - 7:30 PM
- MH Event12:00 PM - 1:00 PM