Sam serves a Member in the Mergers and Acquisitions Practice Group and Business Department at McDonald Hopkins. His practice is focused on representing clients across a wide variety of industries, including private equity, manufacturing, industrial services, ETA/search fund, cannabis, and technology. Sam regularly advises his clients on structuring, negotiating, and documenting mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, private offerings, and recapitalizations. His primary goal in any transaction is to help his clients successfully navigate a complex transaction while taking a practical approach to deal-making that puts a premium on efficiency. Sam also partners with investors, entrepreneurs, independent sponsors, and executives, coaching and guiding those clients through every stage of their journey as they explore different strategies, transactions, and opportunities.
A trusted advisor and advocate, Sam also acts as outside general counsel to his clients, counseling them on general corporate matters, day-to-day business decisions, employment issues, corporate governance, and intellectual property matters. As a former prosecutor and trial attorney, Sam views his client’s business operations through the eyes of a litigator. He works to develop solutions and safeguards against potential liabilities before the need for litigation arises, allowing his clients to focus on achieving their personal and professional business goals.
Sam earned his J.D. from the University of Denver and his B.A. from the University of Colorado Boulder.
Representative Cases & Matters
- Represented private equity fund in the acquisition of a platform overhead crane company and numerous subsequent add-on acquisitions.
- Structured and assisted with fundraising for multiple search funds as well as representing numerous searchers in the acquisition of their target companies.
- Represented an independent sponsor in the acquisition of a large wastewater treatment company.
- Represented an independent sponsor in the acquisition of California based plumbing company.
- Represented physician in the sale of his psychiatry practice to a private equity backed strategic purchaser.
- Advised national winemaker and distributor in its corporate restructuring and debt refinance.
- Represented private lender in a $25 million financing to a large California-based cannabis company.
- Represented private cannabis lender in its fund formation, private offering, and fundraising efforts.
Honors & Recognition
Selected for inclusion in Illinois Rising Stars (2020-2023)
University of Denver Sturm College of Law
University of Colorado
Admissions – Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
Admissions – State
Professional & Civic
Illinois State Bar Association
Chicago Bar Association